What Constitutes a Dental Emergency?
What is a Dental Emergency?
Dental emergencies are oral injuries that may result in the loss of a tooth. They are often painful and might also involve cuts to lips, gums, or cheeks. They should be dealt with immediately to avoid tooth loss and further pain. These injuries might include:
- Knocked-Out Teeth: This requires urgent attention so that the tooth can be reattached. Timing is critical: if you wait too long, the tooth will no longer be viable for reattachment.
- Loose Tooth: This is a tooth that is unstable but has not come out yet. A dentist will try to stabilize it so it doesnâ€™t fall out.
- Cracked or Fractured Teeth: Cracks and fractures indicate damage on both the inside and outside of the tooth.
- Tissue Injury: Any cut, puncture, or laceration inside the mouth that causes bleeding and pain is a serious issue. An oral surgeon or hospital emergency room should be consulted right away.
- Infection or Abscess: An infection or abscess can become life-threatening if not treated. It will likely require a root canal.
When You Should Receive Emergency Dental Care
Every incident inside your mouth may seem like an emergency to you because of the discomfort it causes, but there is a difference between dental emergencies that require urgent dental care and issues that can wait until the next business day. If you have a tooth that has been knocked out or a loose or misaligned tooth, you should call a dentist right away. Emergency treatment should be provided within 30 minutes.
There are other issues that should be treated soon but can wait for an appointment. You should call a dentist the next day for:
- Chipped teeth
- Lost temporary crowns
- Other issues that donâ€™t involve bleeding, pain, swelling, or loss of teeth.
Emergency Dentist in Hanford, CA
The most crucial part of emergency treatment is having a dentist you can trust and go to in an emergency. Dr. Jack Nagrani in Hanford, California, is an expert in emergency dental care. He will see you the same day that you call, make you as comfortable as possible, and conduct the appropriate treatments to resolve the issue. Contact Dr. Nagraniâ€™s office today with your questions or schedule an appointment today!